UPchieve is an edtech nonprofit that provides free, 24/7 online tutoring and college counseling to low-income high school students in the U.S. Using our app, students can request and get paired with a live, volunteer tutor in under 5 minutes. Our mission is to democratize access to academic support so that all students, regardless of income, have an equal opportunity to finish high school, attend college, and achieve upward mobility. So far, we’ve matched 40,000+ on-demand tutoring requests from 10,000+ students across all 50 states. Our work has also been recognized by Forbes and TIME, and our funders include both Y Combinator and the Gates Foundation.
Who we’re looking for
We’re a small team taking on the monumental challenge of democratizing access to academic support. That means we need team members who are excited by autonomy and willing to work on projects outside the scope of their job description if needed. Regardless of role, we also look for candidates who have a personal connection to our cause or a demonstrable interest in education or serving low-income populations.
About Our Team & Office
- We’re a remote-first team (in non-COVID times, we also have a dog-friendly office in Brooklyn, NY)
- We highly value diversity of experiences and perspectives. 2/3 of the team are people of color, and many of us have personal experience growing up low-income or navigating nontraditional educational pathways
- We believe working full-time means 40 hours/week. Non-work stuff is important too!
- 3 weeks paid vacation AND 3 weeks of paid holidays (including all days between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day)
- Flexible work schedule (choose your own hours)
- $1,000 annual professional development budget (learning and self-improvement is a huge part of our work culture!)
- We offer up to 100% covered health insurance on select plans that start on your first day!